The Papyrus Nash consists of 4 fragments with 24 lines
of Hebrew text. It measures 7,5 cm wide by 12,5 cm high. It
is now preserved at the University of Cambridge and is named
after W. L. Nash, secretary of the 'Society of Biblical Archaeology',
who bought it in 1902 from a Egyptian trader. The papyrus
was published in 1907 by S. A. Cooke in the magazine ‘Proceedings’
from the same society.
Upon examination we learn that all 24 lines are incomplete.
They all lack a character or a word at the beginning and the
end. The text contains parts of the Ten Commandments (Exodus
chapter 20) and some verses from Deuteronomy chapter 5 and
6. The fact that the text was written as one part proves that
is was not a copy. It must have been a collection of duties
that a jew had before his God.
The papyrus is dated second or first century B.C., which
makes the document very valuable.
The Tetragrammaton is written 8 times in the text - one
time it is incomplete (the first consonant is missing). On
the last line the Divine Name is written twice.