Die Bibel - Dr. Leander Van Ess

Date and language: 1838 - German

Translator: Johann Heinrich van Ess (1772-1847) became a Benedictine monk in 1790 in Marienmünster, Paderborn. It is there that he received his name Leander. After the monastery was closed in 1802, he became a pastor and a professor at the University of Marburg.

Translation: By 1807 his translation of the New Testament was available, which he had written with his cousin Carl van Ess. He resigned from all his positions in 1855 in order to write a German translation for the common people.

God's name: In his early translations he always used Jehova where the Tetragrammaton was written. In later translations he used Jehova only a few times.

Photo 3: Psalms 9





- Click on the photo -





- top -