The University of Louvain was founded
in 1425 by the efforts of John IV, Duke of Brabant and his
vassal the Lord of Asse, Johannes t'Serjacobs, Abbot of Affligem
Abbey, Chancellor of Brabant. The university was the first
one, and for a long time also the only one, in the Netherlands.
Originally, the university had one base faculty – the
faculty of Arts – and two secondary faculties (Law and
Medicine). The faculty of Theology was added in 1432.
The pictures are shown by kind courtesy
of the Faculty of Theology of the Catholic University of Louvain
and Prof. Dr. Doyle, author of the mentioned book.