The “Neue Residenz” (New Residence)
was built by Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau (1559-1617), one of
the most important archbishops of Salzburg. This building stands
on the East side of the Salzburg Cathedral and was in use from
the early years of 1600. Its initial designation was as a place
of residence for the brothers of the bishop and accommodation
for visiting monarchs.
Gloriesaal (Room of Glory)
On the first floor there are magnificent
chambers : Bischofssaal, Tugendensaal, Gloriensaal, Ständesaal
and Feldherrenzimmer. The Glorysaal, (English translation Room
of Glory), was initially a reception area where decorative artwork
was used as a symbol to emphasise the spiritual function of
the archbishop. The works of art in these areas are attributed
to Elia Castello (1572-1602). This artist had been trained in
sculpture, mosaic work and piecework. At a young age he became
a Court Construction Master in the service of the archbishop.
Elia Castello would have completed these works by 1598.
In middle image on the ceiling angels are
seen, placed as aureoles around the Divine Name. the photo below
shows more detail.