de Greuve was born December 6, 1792 in Amsterdam, as the son
of Gozewijn Christiaan de Greuve and Alida Auber.
Intending to be a clergy man, he studied in Amsterdam,
Munster and Warmond. After a break of two years he went to
Rome, where he joined the Augustinian monastery and was taught
for about one year. In Rome de Greuve received his priesterhood.
In his spiritual career he was first-of-all an assistant-clergyman
in Amsterdam, later in Groningen and then in Utrecht. In 1825
he became a parish priest in the modest Nieuwendam; though
it was only for a short time. King William I inaugurated by
Royal Order a 'Colegium Philosophicum' in addition to the
Academy. De Greuve was appointed as a professor. He stayed
in this position until, in 1830, the Belgian Revolution forced
him to move to the north. In 1831 he became Honorary Professor
in the University of Groningen. On May 27, 1837, he graduated
as Doctor of Language and Literature. Many scientific societies
enjoyed having him as their member. His contact with a theologian
of the Protestant community influenced him greatly. At the
start of the year 1856 he decided to leave the Roman Catholic
Chuch and after a confession of faith he became a member of
the Reformed Church. He was not bound anymore by the priest
oath of celibacy and in the same year, in March, he married
Dorothea Reinder Jacobs Meijer. In December 1862 having reached
the age of 70 de Greuve was declared honourable emiritus.
He was sick for a long time. His condition was worsened and
he died on April 29, 1863.
In 1823, his poems were published under the name 'Dichtbundel
van F.C. de Greuve'.
A very beautiful poem bears the title
'Gods Naam' (God's Name). Please notice that he not only used
the Name but also explained the different ways Jews and Christians
make use of the name...
On page 29 is the poem:
Also in part two he uses the Divine Name.
For example in the poem:
In this second part of his book, he wrote
a very long poem named 'de Scheppingsdagen' ('the days of
This poem can be found from page 47 till page 108.
The Divine Name is used on page 82: