The Visscher House
The Visscher family, also known as "the Visscher
House", were important manufacturers of atlases and maps
in the 17th century.
The founder of the family business was Claes Janszoon
Visscher (1587 - 1652). In the beginning the aim was to decorate
the maps of Blaeu en Hondius. Then he started with his own
printing and manufacturing of maps. The Visscher House became
well-known because of the many historical prints, maps and
etchings. After his death, his only son Nicolaes 1618-1679)
continued his work. In 1677 Nicolaes obtained a 15-year lasting
patent on making maps for the state of Holland and the state
of West Frisia.
Comitatus Hollandiæ denuo
Also known as Leo Hollandicus (Lion of
Holland). The territory on these maps was depicted as a lion.
On the top of the image (beneath in the middle) God's name
can be seen, also here written with vowels.